Specialized Care for Your Vascular System
Vascular surgery is a specialty of surgery in which diseases of the vascular system, or arteries and veins, are managed by medical therapy, minimally-invasive catheter procedures, and surgical reconstruction.
General & Vascular Surgery Northwest Alabama, Inc provides a wide variety of vascular surgeries. We care about your health, and we’ll provide personal attention and great customer service. We’re accommodating about scheduling, so please call us today at 256-332-1500 to schedule your appointment.
Vascular Surgeries Performed in Our Practice
Intravenous Access — These surgeries provide access for inserted devices used for the delivery of chemotherapy or antibiotics. The procedure is typically done with IV sedation and local anesthetic.
- PIC lines
Dialysis Access — These surgeries provide access for dialysis in patients with kidney failure. These procedures may be done with sedation and local anesthetic or may require general anesthesia.
- AV graft
PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease) — These are procedures designed to improve blood flow to the affected parts of the body. Frequently used for wounds on the legs or feet.
- Angiogram — This is a procedure where dye is injected into an artery or vein to show where blockages are and how to treat those blockages.
- Angioplasty and stents — These procedures involve the use of balloons or metal stents to expand blocked arteries.
- Bypass — This involves use of a vein or “plastic” tube to route blood around a blocked artery.
- Thrombolysis — This is a procedure where medicines are used to dissolve clots in arteries or veins. It can be used to treat certain deep vein clots (DVT) or artery blockages.
Venous Diseases — These are diseases that involve the veins such as spider veins, varicose veins, and blood clots.
- Spider veins — These are treated in the office with medicine that scleroses the veins causing them to go away. These are usually not covered by insurance and the charge is $150 for one vial of solution and $50 for touch-up treatment. Most patients are treated for under $300.
- Varicose veins — This treatment is usually covered by insurance. It is a day surgery where the varicosities are removed and the main channel feeding the varicosities is treated with a laser fiber.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) — DVT involves a clot forming in the deep veins, usually of the legs, which causes swelling and pain and can be life threatening. Treatment is usually by blood thinners but some cases are better treated with thrombolysis where the clot is actively dissolved.